Daughters of Virtue & Empowerment Initiative (DOVENET); is an independent, non-profit organization working in Nigeria. The organization was established in year 2000 registered with CAC in the year 2005, with the vision to see a society where all individuals are empowered to contribute towards growth and development irrespective of gender. DOVENET works with women and young people to make them confident contributors to development. DOVENET is also in consultative status with United Nations ECOSOC since 2018.
DOVENET has been engaged as a local partner to implement the USAID-funded MOMENTUM Country & Global Leadership (MCGL) Project which is targeted at preventing and mitigating the consequences of violence against women and girls (VAW/G) and possible drivers of child early and forced marriage (CEFM), Intimate Partner Violence (IPV), Sexual Violence (SV), and the early adoption of Family Planning (FP).
Daughters of Virtue and Empowerment Initiative (DOVENET) will lead MCGL’s Behaviorally Focused Applied Political Economic Analysis (BF-APEA) in the LGAs in Ebonyi State and will require qualified and experienced Research Assistants to carry out the assignment.
Scope of Work and Responsibilities:
The Research Assistant will work with the Lead Consultant and DOVENET-MCGL project team to analyze key power dynamics and social/political economy, understand underlying incentives, interests and systemic behaviors that explain persistent problems as it relates to the behavioral pattern of stakeholders and community members in issues relating to VAWG.
The scope of work and responsibilities include:
- Provide updates to DOVENET-MCGL implementation team throughout the period of performance
- Participate in performance review meetings
- Participate in collaborative learning activities including after action reviews
- Work closely with the Lead BF-APEA researcher/consultant
Training and meetings:
- Participate in BF-APEA Training
- Participate in the BF-APEA Data Analysis Workshop
Data Collection Preparation:
- Participate in the identification and recruitment of participants
- Ensure required tools, consent forms, etc. are complete
- Prepare and set up venues for in-depth interviews (IDIs) and focus group discussions (FGDs) in the community
- Travel to LGAs of assignment and work in specific communities over a cumulative period of 10-16 days.
- Conduct IDIs as needed
- Conduct FGDs as needed
- Take notes during the interviews and FGDs
- Translate and transcribe IDI and FGD notes
- Deliver notes taken to DOVENET/MCGL Study Team in a secure manner
- Participate in data analysis workshop
- Participate in co-creation workshops as needed
- Participate in review meetings
- Participate in BF-APEA training
- Transcribed and translated notes from the primary data collection (interviews and FGDs at state and LGA levels)
- Contribution to initial drafts of behavior profiles
- Inputs to and participation in co-creation process
- Support to any validation activities, as needed
- With local partners, support to the development of a monitoring plan for behaviorally-focused interventions
Duration of Assignment:
The duration of the work will be for 10 to 16 days from 21st July 2021 in non-consecutive days. Research assistants will be required to submit translated and cleaned interview and FGD notes as appropriate and activity reports daily.
- BSc/HND in Health, or Social Sciences or its equivalent.
- Minimum of 2-3 years working experience in qualitative data collection as it relates to KIIs and FGDs.
- Experience recruiting participants for qualitative or quantitative research studies
- Working knowledge of Ebonyi State and the LGAs (Ikwo and Izzi)
- Ability and willingness to travel to the LGAs of interest for up to two weeks
- Skills in conducting interviews and ability to probe for clearer answers.
- Excellent communication, reporting and writing skills in English and Igbo languages.
- Ability to work under pressure with minimal supervision.
- Ability to understand some local dialects of Ebonyi State communities.
- Conversant with gender issues, GBV, IPV and FP will be added advantages.
- Conversant with key stakeholders in the state.
- Effective team work and collaboration skills.
Method of Application:
Interested candidates should submit an application letter and a CV as a single word document to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to DOVENET Office at No 3 Ifitedunu Street, Okpaugwu, Abakaliki not later than 4pm, July 15th, 2021. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. For more information please visit our website: www.dovenetng.org. DOVENET is an equal opportunity employer and women are strongly advised to apply.