DOVENET Works in Ikwo and Ohaukwu LGA
For some years now DOVENET has been at the forefront of the battle against obstetric fistula. This led to her partnership with the Friends of Nigeria.
With the support of Friends of Niger (FON) on the Fistula Initiative project, DOVENET takes the message of fistula to Ikwo and Ohaukwu LGAs of Ebonyi state in order to enhance community understanding on the preventive and treatment practices.
DOVENET conducted Community Town-hall Meetings, Community Dialogues, Home Visits, Church Outreaches, and Review Meetings in the two Local Government Areas. These activities were successfully carried out as a result of her community structures which helped in the successful implementation of the project.
During the course of the implementation, DOVENET identified 5 fistula clients of which 4 were mobilized and repaired. DOVENET, during the course of the home visits, identified 48 pregnant women out of which 31 were referred for antenatal care, 3 accesses family planning, 7 child deliveries recorded and 5 identified with Pelvic Organ Prolapse.
Outcomes and Achievements
- There was a commitment from individuals and groups on family planning, fistula prevention, and reintegration with commitments for continued dissemination of information to communities.
- Ideas were shared on the way forward and strategies to improve client mobilization.
- Male commitment in involving in the project activities.
- Support and commitment from community members, stakeholders, and traditional leaders to project intervention.
- Communal ownership of the Friends of Nigeria (FON) Fistula Initiative Project.